CCHCC’s Community Meeting on National Health Reform on Thursday, September 10, 2009 was a huge success, with nearly 150 local residents in attendance. The room at the Champaign Public Library where the meeting was held was filled to capacity! The community received an honest analysis of the health reform legislation being proposed, and speakers, including Dr. Anne Scheetz from Physicians for a National Health Program and Al Mytty, Director of Payer Contracting with Carle Foundation Hospital, were great!
Topics discussed at the meeting included:
• The need for national health reform and understanding the health reform legislation
• Fact vs. fiction in the health reform debate
• Single-payer and public option health reforms
• Medicare and national health reform
• How you can take action for REAL health reform
Thank you so much to the co-sponsors of the Meeting: CCHCC’s Health Care Access Task Force and Medicare Task Force, Prairie Center Health Systems, Inc., Illinois Disciples Foundation, Wesley United Methodist Church, Christian Social Action Ministry, Wesley Foundation, IATSE Local 482, UIUC School of Social Work, Olympian Surgical Suites, and University YMCA.
- Meeting Flyer
- Meeting Agenda
- Guidelines for Participation
- Slideshow Presentation
- Glossary of Health Care Terms
- Evaluating Health Reform Legislation
- CCHCC’s Health Reform Principles
- Health Reform Web Resources
- Group’s health care meeting to offer facts, no politics – 9/7/09 – News-Gazette
- WICD News Coverage (YouTube) – 9/10/09
- Champaign citizens speak out on health care – 9/11/09 – Daily Illini
A packed meeting room! Over 140 community members showed up to hear about national health care reform.
From L to R: Aly Mytty, Carle Foundation Hospital; Dr. Anne Scheetz, Physicians for a National Health Program; Claudia Lennhoff, Executive Director, Champaign County Health Care Consumers
Volunteers staff the Take Action Tables at the meeting.
Community members take action to support REAL health reform!