Print This Post Print This Post

How to File a Complaint

You may find yourself in a situation in which you feel you have been wronged.  When this happens, it is within your rights to file a formal complaint against the offending medical practitioner, hospital, health facility, or insurance company.  Here are some steps to follow to file a complaint:

•    Select the proper agency to complain to (accompanying list)
•    Put your complaint in writing (see below for sample letter)
•    Include the name of the offending party (doctor, hospital, etc.)
•    Describe what your complaint is
•    Tell where the incident occurred
•    Give the date and time it occurred
•    Include statements from witnesses, if any
•    Include copies of bills and other related items
•    Be willing and able to provide additional information if requested

Sample Complaint Letter

Dear (Commissioner/Secretary/Director/Chairperson):

I am writing to you to file a formal complaint against (name of person, institution, or organization) about an incident in which I believe I was wronged.  I am requesting that an appropriate review and investigation be completed.  I am prepared to provide the necessary documentation to support my complaint and to cooperate fully with the investigating officer assigned to my case.

I will briefly describe what happened and why I believe I am justified in filing this complaint. [Here, list exactly what happened.]

I will be waiting your reply and will complete any additional forms if necessary.

Your assistance in this matter is greatly appreciated.


[Your Name]

Agencies that Handle Complaints

The following list outlines how to file a complaint based on whom or what the complaint is against. CCHCC has additional self-help packets for more assistance on how to file a complaint and additional information on the agencies listed below, including complaint forms and detailed descriptions of what each agency handles.

Complaint Against

Where to File

How to File

Licensed Professionals

Department of Financial andProfessional Regulation


*You can file a complaint by email.

Phone: (312) 814-6910

100 West Randolph Street

Chicago, IL 60601


Health Maintenance Organizations(HMOs)

1) HMO’s Complaint



2) If not satisfied, Illinois

   Department of Insurance

Contact HMO for Complaint Procedure


Phone: (877) 527-9431

Health Care Facilities

Office of Health Care Regulation

Phone: (800) 252-4343

Insurance Companies

1) Insurance Company’s ComplaintProcedure


2) If not satisfied, contact the ILDepartment of Insurance

Contact Insurance Company forComplaint Procedure


Phone: (217) 782-7446

Consumer Complaints

320 West Washington Street

Springfield, IL 62767

Quality of Care (i.e. patient rights,safety, care of patients)

Joint Commission on Accreditation ofHealth Care Organizations

Phone: (800) 994-6610

Fax: (630) 792-5636


Office of Quality Monitoring

OneRenaissance Boulevard
Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181


Other (i.e. billing disputes,problems with access to care)

Attorney General’s Health Care Bureau

(877) 305-5145

TTY: (800) 964-3013

Click here to download this document as a PDF.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *